We're excited to unveil our newly updated CGS Instagram account @ChicagoGenSoc that you can find by searching in your Instagram App or going online to https://www.instagram.com/chicagogensoc/ Visit and follow us today!
And we'd love to give you some suggestions for using Instagram's basic features so you can be prepared for our upcoming October 11th CGS Special Tech Tuesday Webinar, "Get Grammin': How to Instagram Your Family History" with professional genealogist Elizabeth Swaynay O'Neil.
1. Free help from the Instagram Help Center: Get your questions answered in the Instagram Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/ or find answers by Google-ing for help from other sources.
2. How to register for an Instagram account: Download the Instagram App or go online to https://www.instagram.com Click "Sign up," and either 1) Enter your email address, password and create a user name, or 2) Register with your Facebook account. Details in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/155940534568753
3. How to add a profile pic: Go to your Profile by clicking the profile icon. Click "Edit Profile," then "Change Profile Photo," then select where you'd like to import your photo from, then "Submit." Details in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/557544397610546
4. How to manage settings: *Via App* = Find your account settings by clicking your bottom profile icon, then clicking the 3-bar collapsed menu icon (also called the Hamburger button), then clicking "Settings." *Via Computer* = Find your account settings by clicking your top right menu profile pic to find the "Settings" in the dropdown menu. Details in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/131112217071354
5. How to protect your privacy on Instagram: Consult the "Staying Safe" section in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/1417489251945243/
6. How to post on Instagram: Instagram is photo driven, so choose a photo, then start building your post by clicking the add a post icon and follow each step, clicking "Next" until your post is ready, then click "Done." Details in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/442418472487929/
7. How to search Instagram: Search Instagram using keywords or hashtags (labels added to a post beginning with a # sign with words attached, like the hashtag for the Chicago Genealogical Society which is #ChicagoGenSoc). Simply type your keywords or hashtag into the Search box (you may need to click the search icon to reveal the Search box). You can search for photos, videos, people's accounts, people's locations and so many other things. Details in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/1482378711987121
8. How to follow others on Instagram: When you find an account that you'd like to follow, simply click "Follow." Details in the Help Center at https://help.instagram.com/741619032578266